At Preston Primary School we actively discourage parents from taking their children out of school for holidays during term time.
To help parents plan their holidays please see the term dates below.
In line with DfE instructions, Preston Park Primary School will not authorise any holiday taken during term time. All absence from school due to holidays will be noted as unauthorised absence.
AUTUMN TERM 2019
- Pupils return to school Tuesday 3rd September 2019 (Staff Inset on Monday 2nd September 2019)
- Last day of term Friday 18th October 2019
- Half Term Monday 21st – Friday 25th October 2019
- Pupils return to school Monday 28th October 2019 (Staff Inset Thursday 12th and Friday 13th December 2019)
- Last day of term Friday 20th December 2019 @ 1:30pm
- Christmas Holiday Monday 23rd December – Friday 3rd January 2020
SPRING TERM 2020
- Pupils return to school Monday 6th January 2020
- Last day of term Friday 14th February 2020
- Half term Monday 17th – Friday 21st February 2020
- Pupils return to school Monday 24th February 2020
- Last day of term Friday 3rd April 2020 @ 1:30pm
- Easter Holiday Monday 6th April – Friday 17th April 2020
SUMMER TERM 2020
- Pupils return to school Monday 20th April 2020
- School Closed [open for year 6 children only] Thursday 7th May 2020
- May Bank Holiday Friday 8th May 2020
- Last day of term Friday 22nd May 2020
- Half term Monday 25th – Friday 29th May 2020
- Pupils return to school Monday 1st June 2020 (Staff Inset Friday 12th June 2020)
- Last day of term Friday 17th July 2020 @ 1:30pm (Staff Inset Monday 20th July 2020)
TERM TIME LEAVE
Parents are strongly discouraged from taking their children out of school for long periods of time.
Family holidays or trips abroad must be taken in the school holidays. The Headteacher can only authorise absence, in exceptional circumstances. In such cases, parents should submit a ‘Leave of Absence Request Form’ in advance and only make bookings if leave is granted. Whether to grant leave is at the discretion of the Headteacher. There is no right for a parent to appeal a decision.
We have compiled this list of frequently asked questions to provide some guidance.
Have I the right to take my child on holiday in term-time when I wish?
No. Schools have the discretion to grant leave of absence in other exceptional circumstances, but it will not automatically be granted.
How will the time away be recorded?
It will be an authorised absence if agreed by the school. If it is not agreed by the school, it will be recorded as unauthorised absence, and could result in a penalty notice being issued.
Can holiday leave be granted retrospectively?
What happens if we don’t return on the agreed date?
The absence will be unauthorised. Your child's place at the school may be at risk. Admissions and the Education Welfare Service will be informed and a fixed penalty notice may be issued.
What happens if my child is removed from the school’s roll?
You must contact the Brent Admissions Service on 020 8937 3100 for advice and information on enrolling your child in another school.
What if I need a longer absence period than 10 days?
You should ensure that any extra time falls within school holidays.
Is there a right of appeal against a decision to remove from the school’s roll?
No, schools are legally entitled to take this course of action.
What is the Penalty Notice fine for term time leave?
New amounts for education-related penalty notices will come into force on 1 September 2012. The Education (Penalty Notices) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2012 increases the current amounts of penalty notices payable by parents from 1 September 2012. These will apply to any parent who fails to ensure the regular attendance of their child of compulsory school age (5-16) who is registered at a state school or fails to ensure that their excluded child is not found in a public place during schools hours without a justifiable reason. The amounts stated on the penalty are £60 per parent within 21 days. Days 22-28 the fine increases to £120 per parent. If the fine is not paid within this timescale legal action will commence with a referral to court. Costs can escalate to £1000 plus.
AUTUMN TERM 2020
- Pupils return to school Thursday 3rd September 2020 (Staff Inset on Tuesday 1st September 2020 & Wednesday 2nd September 2020)
- Last day of term Friday 23rd October 2020
- Half Term Monday 26th – Friday 30th October 2020
- Pupils return to school Monday 2nd November 2020 (Staff Inset Friday 11th December 2020)
- Last day of term Friday 18th December 2020 @ 1:30pm
- Christmas Holiday Monday 21st December 2020 –
Friday 1st January 2021
SPRING TERM 2021
- Pupils return to school Monday 4th January 2021
- Last day of term Friday 12th February 2021
- Half term Monday 15th – Friday 19th February 2021
- Pupils return to school Monday 22nd February 2021 (Staff Inset Friday 26th March 2021)
- Last day of term Friday 2nd April 2021 @ 1:30pm
- Easter Holiday Monday 5th April – Friday 16th April 2021
SUMMER TERM 2021
- Pupils return to school Monday 19th April 2021
- May Bank Holiday Friday 3rd May 2021
- Last day of term Friday 28th May 2021
- Half term Monday 31st May – Friday 4th June 2021
- Pupils return to school Monday 7th June 2021 (Staff Inset Friday 18th June 2021)
- Last day of term Tuesday 20th July 2021 @ 1:30pm